Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Journal #5: Try Twitter

I began using Twitter this year, and have found it useful in my personal and professional environment. After looking at the video and reading the PowerPoint, I realized that there are so many different ways that Twitter can be used in the classroom.  At my daughter’s school, Twitter is being used and I find it helpful because it keeps me updated on upcoming events. Sometimes I do not receive the paper flyers of school events, so it is nice to get the news in a timely manner. Twitter is a great for students to share information and resources. Students who may be afraid to talk in class, may feel more comfortable sharing ideas online. Another interesting idea was doing a Wordle through Twitter, in which students share with their peers any synonyms or antonyms that would make their writing more descriptive. In class, students are continuously encourage to provide detail in their writing, so if students are able to use this kind of tool they will be more engaged in the assignment. Also, having students communicate with experts is another great idea that would motivate students to learn more about a certain topic. 
Q.How can teachers control what students do on Twitter in the class?
Teachers would have to set the expectations before students use Twitter in the class. I think that it would be difficult to know if students are on Twitter when they are suppose to be.
Q.What are some ways that teachers can use Twitter in the classroom?
One of the ways that Twitter can be used in the classroom is to graph opinions and collect information. At the middle school that I work at, students participated in a mock election that was done by paper and pencil. I think it would have been more effective if the students would have voted using Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment